The Master Course in Humanitarian Action, Cooperation and Development (HACD) degree program prepares professionals or future professionals to deal with humanitarian responses. It is an international program, which has several years of experience and its teachers are specialized professionals and civilian and military guests.
Humanitarian emergencies occur in different types of situations, which are more often situations of conflict, but may also be natural disasters, or problems of health emergencies or safety specific risks.
The response to these situations opts for a humanistic approach and for specific strategies, namely: promotion of health and essential well-being of the person, disaster preparedness and risks for safety, analysis and prevention of international and domestic crisis. The organization is the essential point, and so it is necessary to know how to plan emergency situations, how to coordinate and know how to live among the various emergency operators to provide humanitarian services, know the tools of logistics and management support, and forms of post-emergency and post-crisis development.
The Master Course in HACD is highly applicable to candidates who either are currently working or intending to work in fields related to humanitarian risk prevention and management, NGOs dealing with disaster relief services, international institutions, agencies which promote the development and defense of human rights, or civil or military organizations in peacekeeping operations in conflict zones.
It is also applicable to organizations interested in vulnerability and poverty eradication, risk planning and management related to specific populations (eg children), ethnic and religious conflict resolution, protection against violence and human trafficking, as well as media, decision-makers related to politics (eg electoral process management).
The program is designed to cater for the demand in the labor market. It is aimed at instilling candidates with the necessary practical competencies and knowledge to manage both strategic and practical subjects related to humanitarian affairs at public and private levels.
According to article 17, paragraph 1, of Decree-Law no. 74/2006, of 24 March, as last amended by Decree-Law no. 65/2018, of 16 August, may apply for access to the cycle of studies leading to the master degree (2nd cycle):
- Holders of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, awarded after a 1st cycle of studies, organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process in a foreign country that adhered to said process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, which is recognized as fulfilling the objectives of the degree of licenciado by the scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted.
- a) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in the scientific area of the Master degree;
- b) Best final classification of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- c) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in scientific area more related to that of the masters;
- d) Curriculum vitae and letter of motivation.
2nd Cycle – Mestrado (MA)* Duration: 3 Semesters · ECTS: 90 ECTS
According to Dispatch no. 12246/2013 DR 2nd series no. 185 of 25 September 2013.
EXCHANGE PROGRAM/STUDY ABROAD
- University Fernando Pessoa’s students (UFP) who meet the eligibility criteria have the possibility of studying and/or doing internship periods in international mobility.
- Study periods in international mobility of students are carried out in higher education institutions outside Portugal, with which UFP maintains student exchange agreements under the Erasmus + Program (in the European area) or other existing bilateral exchange agreements.
- Information about mobility/exchange programs is available through the International Relations Office (link).
DATES AND COSTS
Applications and School Fees
Academic Year 2021/22
- I have never been enrolled in the higher education system
- I have already been enrolled in the higher education system (PDF)
- I am transferring from another higher education institution/changing course
- I already have an undergraduate or graduate degree
VISIT THE CAMPUS
Come and visit UFP, talk to teachers, staff and students. Witness the quality of the work done in previous years. Visit libraries, laboratories and dining rooms. Enjoy the green spaces and, take a photo with our Patron Fernando Pessoa.