The Master of Science in Education: Special Education lasts two academic years and is organized in 4 semesters, making a balanced management between knowledge and practices that aim to promote the acquisition/deepening of knowledge and the development/improvement of skills in the field of Education Sciences, more specifically in the area of special education.
The main objective of this cycle of studies is to prepare teachers or other professionals in the field of education to work in schools and in private or public institutions in support of the disadvantaged population with skills of critical analysis, intervention, consultancy and training, supervision and assessment in the field of education sciences in general and special education in particular.
This course has as main objectives to train specialists with theoretical and practical knowledge and its methodologies and techniques provide solid foundations for an intervention and research in the educational field for the students with SEN in the different domains. In particular this Master aims to provide students:
- The acquisition of scientific knowledge and skills to create conditions that will help the development of children with disabilities or at risk of serious developmental delays, promoting their functionality and participation in different life contexts.
- The ability to enhance the improvement of family interactions and the reinforcement of family skills as a support for their growing training and autonomy, given the problem of disability.
These objectives are implemented in two areas: professional and academic.
According to article 17, paragraph 1, of Decree-Law no. 74/2006, of 24 March, as last amended by Decree-Law no. 65/2018, of 16 August, may apply for access to the cycle of studies leading to the master degree (2nd cycle):
- Holders of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, awarded after a 1st cycle of studies, organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process in a foreign country that adhered to said process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, which is recognized as fulfilling the objectives of the degree of licenciado by the scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted.
- a) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in the scientific area of the Master degree;
- b) Best final classification of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- c) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in scientific area more related to that of the masters;
- d) Curriculum vitae and letter of motivation.
2nd Cycle – Mestrado (MA)* Duration: 4 Semesters · ECTS: 120 ECTS
According to Dispatch no. 12170/2013 DR 2nd series no. 184 of 24 September 2013.
BRANCH: COGNITIVE AND MOTOR DOMAIN
BRANCH: EMOTIONAL AND PERSONALITY DOMAIN
BRANCH: EARLY INTERVENTION IN CHILDREN DOMAIN
Prof. Dr. Fátima Coelho • Prof. Dr. Luísa Saavedra • Prof. Dr. Susana Marinho
Get in touch to be contacted by the program coordinator:
EXCHANGE PROGRAM/STUDY ABROAD
- University Fernando Pessoa’s students (UFP) who meet the eligibility criteria have the possibility of studying and/or doing internship periods in international mobility.
- Study periods in international mobility of students are carried out in higher education institutions outside Portugal, with which UFP maintains student exchange agreements under the Erasmus + Program (in the European area) or other existing bilateral exchange agreements.
- Information about mobility/exchange programs is available through the International Relations Office (link).
DATES AND COSTS
Applications and School Fees
Academic Year 2021/22
- I have never been enrolled in the higher education system
- I have already been enrolled in the higher education system (PDF)
- I am transferring from another higher education institution/changing course
- I already have an undergraduate or graduate degree
VISIT THE CAMPUS
Come and visit UFP, talk to teachers, staff and students. Witness the quality of the work done in previous years. Visit libraries, laboratories and dining rooms. Enjoy the green spaces and, take a photo with our Patron Fernando Pessoa.