This Master degree aims that the student can be able to understand and solve specific problems in a broad and multidisciplinary context. The integration of the knowledge acquired throughout this course should enable the student to deal with complex issues in the field of crime. In addition, the student should also be able to think about the ethical and social implications of the application of knowledge of Criminology to the real and research context.
It is hoped that the acquired knowledge will allow the student to develop autonomously in the different fields of Criminology, in particular in current and growing phenomena of crime.
This cycle of studies has the following objectives:
– to provide the student with the necessary tools to create original applications in the context of Criminology. In a current situation marked by the need of the application of Criminology to the context of the analysis of the criminal phenomenon, it becomes pertinent the specialization of professionals in specific and complex criminal phenomena (eg cybercrime) allowing a response of prevention and effective control of these new crimes;
– to provide an understanding of the criminal phenomenon that does not lose its bio-psycho-social character and allows a macro (the phenomenon) and micro (the individual) analysis;
– to answer to the need to critically analyze crime and possible solutions in terms of future criminal policies that effectively respond to crime rates;
– to provide students with the skills to develop rigorous investigations within the scope of criminology that allow the advancement of scientific knowledge in this area.
The training acquired will allow the student, on the one hand, to reinforce the professional opportunities usually associated with criminology, enabling him, in particular, to perform functions in criminal police bodies, in the prison system, in social reintegration services, in children and young people, in educational centers for juvenile offenders and in shelters and victim protection centers. On the other hand, it will enable the student to prepare and participate in intervention projects in the community to identify and respond to criminological factors.
According to article 17, paragraph 1, of Decree-Law no. 74/2006, of 24 March, as last amended by Decree-Law no. 65/2018, of 16 August, may apply for access to the cycle of studies leading to the master degree (2nd cycle):
- Holders of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, awarded after a 1st cycle of studies, organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process in a foreign country that adhered to said process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, which is recognized as fulfilling the objectives of the degree of licenciado by the scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted.
- a) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in the scientific area of the Master degree;
- b) Best final classification of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- c) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in scientific area more related to that of the masters;
- d) Curriculum vitae and letter of motivation.
2nd Cycle – Mestrado (MA)* Duration: 4 Semesters · ECTS: 120 ECTS
According to Dispatch no. 9073/2018 DR 2nd series no. 186 of 26 September 2018.
EXCHANGE PROGRAM/STUDY ABROAD
- University Fernando Pessoa’s students (UFP) who meet the eligibility criteria have the possibility of studying and/or doing internship periods in international mobility.
- Study periods in international mobility of students are carried out in higher education institutions outside Portugal, with which UFP maintains student exchange agreements under the Erasmus + Program (in the European area) or other existing bilateral exchange agreements.
- Information about mobility/exchange programs is available through the International Relations Office (link).
DATES AND COSTS
Applications and School Fees
- I have never been enrolled in the higher education system
- I have already been enrolled in the higher education system (PDF)
- I am transferring from another higher education institution/changing course
- I already have an undergraduate or graduate degree
VISIT THE CAMPUS
Come and visit UFP, talk to teachers, staff and students. Witness the quality of the work done in previous years. Visit libraries, laboratories and dining rooms. Enjoy the green spaces and, take a photo with our Patron Fernando Pessoa.