The Master in Civil Engineering aims to deepen the knowledge obtained in the 1st cycle of studies in Civil Engineering, as well as to provide new contents, in order to provide a solid and specialized academic and professional training.
It is designed for engineers, technical engineers, architects and others with experience and interest in the construction sector, making it possible to increase the autonomy and technical-professional competences previously acquired, as well as to increase the taste for the research activity.
In this course classes focus the following areas:
- rehabilitation of buildings;
- project and investment management;
- water and sanitation project;
- concrete and special concrete structures;
- sustainability in buildings;
- coordination of safety in works;
- environmental quality of buildings;
- urbanization projects;
- thermal, acoustic and ventilation projects
Study visits, conferences, seminars and workshops also contribute to fostering the empirical aspect of the Master degree, preparing the future masters for the practical problems that arise in the daily life of Civil Engineering.
There is also the opportunity for the Master students to study a specific subject of their interest in order to do a research and write their thesis.
After completing the Master in Civil Engineering, one will have advanced and specific skills that allow them to perform, among others, the following professional functions:
- technical direction of public or private works;
- supervision and security of public or private works;
- elaboration and management of projects of specialties;
- monitoring and management of rehabilitation of buildings;
- direction and management of civil construction and public works companies;
- technician of cabinets of engineering and architecture project;
- technician of municipal councils (licensing, pathways of communication, planning of the territory and environment, management of heritage, public works, etc.);
- technician of city services of infrastructures and equipment (water and sanitation, transport, etc.).
According to article 17, paragraph 1, of Decree-Law no. 74/2006, of 24 March, as last amended by Decree-Law no. 65/2018, of 16 August, may apply for access to the cycle of studies leading to the master degree (2nd cycle):
- Holders of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, awarded after a 1st cycle of studies, organized in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process in a foreign country that adhered to said process;
- Holders of a foreign higher academic degree, which is recognized as fulfilling the objectives of the degree of licenciado by the scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies by the competent scientific body recognized by the statutes of the higher education institution where they wish to be admitted.
- Master in Civil Engineering: Graduation in Engineering and Construction, preferably in Civil Engineering.
- a) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in the scientific area of the Master degree;
- b) Best final classification of the degree of licenciado or legal equivalent;
- c) Degree of licenciado or legal equivalent in scientific area more related to that of the masters;
- d) Curriculum vitae and letter of motivation.
Degree: Master (MSc) * Duration: 4 Semesters · ECTS: 120 ECTS
According to; Dispatch no. º 12491/2013, DR 2nd series no. 189, of 1 October 2013.
EXCHANGE PROGRAM/STUDY ABROAD
- University Fernando Pessoa’s students (UFP) who meet the eligibility criteria have the possibility of studying and/or doing internship periods in international mobility.
- Study periods in international mobility of students are carried out in higher education institutions outside Portugal, with which UFP maintains student exchange agreements under the Erasmus + Program (in the European area) or other existing bilateral exchange agreements.
- Information about mobility/exchange programs is available through the International Relations Office (link).
DATES AND COSTS
Applications and School Fees
- I have never been enrolled in the higher education system
- I have already been enrolled in the higher education system (PDF)
- I am transferring from another higher education institution/changing course
- I already have an undergraduate or graduate degree
VISIT THE CAMPUS
Come and visit UFP, talk to teachers, staff and students. Witness the quality of the work done in previous years. Visit libraries, laboratories and dining rooms. Enjoy the green spaces and, take a photo with our Patron Fernando Pessoa.